Monday, January 26, 2009

Oprah

I am watching Oprah tonight as I make dinner.  My children are counting on a snow day so no one is wandering through the kitchen looking for help or somehow avoiding homework.  I think they will probably be off also so I am letting them slide.  Probably not a good idea.

This afternoon Oprah is talking about overweight teens.  I have a very good friend whose 13 year old daughter is 100 lbs. overweight.  My friend and her daughter have a horrible relationship with husband/father.  As I listen to the show I see all the problems they have.  The Dad moos when the daughter walks in the room.  He has nothing to do with his daughter.  He doesn't eat dinner with his family.  It has been a truly dysfunctional family but as I watch this I see it from the daughters point and I am tearing up.  I don't know how to get my friend to get help for the daughter.  

I have to say this girl is not very likable but I think she has turned out this way for a reason.  I can only see this problem getting worse for her.  She is mean because of a defense mechanism from her weight and her lousy parents.  

The father is a college professor at a very competitive, prestigious university.  Whenever I try to talk to my friend she makes excuses for her husband or blames her daughter.  Her daughter just won't stick to a diet, she won't work out.  She always blames the daughter.  I see how the husband talks about his daughter and treats his wife.   The husband worked for my husband back when this daughter was born and he used to call her the baby from hell.   My husband is so grateful for him to be out of his area.  My friend has always been afraid to have her daughter talk to a professional.  I think there is probably even more going on in this family than I know (and what I know is not good).  

Any ideas on how I can get them to look for help?  

No comments: