Monday, November 30, 2009

The Library

Does anyone else enjoy the library as much as I do?  I am fortunate enough to live close to the greatest branch in our library system.   A slight detour to any errand and I'm at the library.  I'm there at least once a week.  I've always enjoyed picking up an armload of books and magazines and browsing through them.  

My children are great standardized, college entrance exam testers.  I attribute much of this to the library.  Beginning when they were very little we would make weekly trips to the library.  They would come out with stacks of books, tapes and movies.  Many times the books were too difficult for them to read but they were able to read captions or sections of the books.  I think this gives them a broad array of  information.   Unfortunately, none of them are solid A students and are usually characterized as 'underachievers' by their teachers.  I'm grateful they have the test taking ability.  Keeping track of the books is still a challenge.

My daughter recently had to write a poem for English class and used the adjective 'average' to describe herself.  There are so many strong girls at her school with even stronger parents that at times it seems hard for her to find a place for herself.  So my mission at the library today was to find some biographies on women.  I decided to search through the children/young adult section since I thought she'd be more likely to read through a few of those.  Well, there are shelves and shelves of men's biographies but not very many about women.  And quite frankly, most of the female bios were written about women who were only famous because of their husbands.  I'm going to have to take some time and search out some biographies for her to read.  Any ideas?

2 comments:

Toad said...

My wife would be so very happy if I went to the library only once per week. It has become a near daily fix for me.

I'm unsure of your daughter's age, but may I suggest two? The biography of Nancy Lancaster. NL her life, her art,

Nancy ws the money behind the design firm Colefax and Fowler.

My second would be Out of Africa. It is a much better read than movie, and it is not a bad movie.

nanc said...

Thanks for the suggestions. I just requested them from the library.