Thursday, May 21, 2009

Elizabeth Edwards

I picked up Resilience by Elizabeth Edwards at the library today.  I had watched her on a few tv programs last week and then heard there was some controversy about her sharing some of those personal aspects of her life (regarding her husband's infidelity).   I only spent about a half hour skimming it while waiting for my son's carpool but what I read was so good.  From what I managed to read in the half hour I had she spends quite a bit of time discussing her son Wade's death.  Those sections were just beautiful and I think most Mom's would agree with the sentiments she puts into writing.  I think most of us would agree with her statement, "There is nothing in life I have done better than to parent my children.  And even that is not even particularly close to perfect.  There is always someone who parents better, who does whatever you think you can do at least a little better."  When I read the first line I thought well, aren't you tooting your own horn, but then she follows it up saying she's not perfect and giving examples to which most moms can relate.   

I'm going to start the book at the beginning tonight.   From the interview I heard last week I thought the book was going to focus quite a bit on her husbands infidelity.  While I was paging through I didn't see anything about it so it must be a small part of the book.  It's too bad so much of the press was about that aspect and not her mother's point of view.  

For the life of me I don't know why anyone should suggest that she not write about his infidelity.  I would think she could go on tv and throw darts at him if she wanted.  I haven't been in her position and would never judge what is acceptable behavior but I think this is one of those cases where everyone handles it in their own manner.

Anyway, I think she does a wonderful job of capturing a mother's love for her children.


No comments: