Sunday, January 4, 2009

What is it about you southern girls

I grew up in a major midwest city and am now living in a large midwest city.  I've traveled, am well educated, well read, etc.  But for the life of me I can't figure out how you southern girls do it.  You're traveled, well educated, well read, etc. yet you have that one thing I can't quite accomplish.  You're able to add just that one item to a room, dinner table, package, and turn it into a masterpiece and you always look great and at ease to boot.

Case in point  -- picked up my youngest from a sleepover  yesterday.  He had been at his friends for over 24 hours (their choice).  This family has been transplanted from the south but has been here many years. I pull up to the house which has beautiful urns on the porch with lights and red spray painted twigs, large bows (you get the picture).   Mom answers the door, looking cute, and says we're having our dinner club tonight so I have been cooking all day.  She shows me her dining room with fabulous handmade decorations.  Her table is set with gorgeous china which was  her great-grandmothers.   She was making a wonderful southern meal.  The rest of her house looked beautiful too.  She knows to tie that bow with greenery on top of her plate rack and put bows and wreaths on the back of her chairs.  

So how do you do it?  How do you know how to mix heirlooms with the new?  How can you go to Hobby Lobby, pick up some inexpensive decorations, embellish them a bit and have your room look like a spread in Traditional Home?  


1 comment:

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

That is a marvelous complement to southern belles.