Thursday, January 8, 2009

Dulldrums

Recently Life is Better With a Cute Outfit wrote a post on some of the boring aspects of motherhood.  If I knew how to link to her post I would but I can't quite figure out how to -- she's a great writer.

Anyway, I know exactly how she is feeling.  It was so nice having the kids off from school.  When school is in session I feel like we are just rushing from activity to activity and not really enjoying the moment.  It's not because I've over scheduled my family.   School starts very early, they have lots of homework, and my older two seem to stay up late which makes it even harder for them in the morning.  Some of the reading I have done indicates that it is part of their biological clock to stay up late and sleep half of the day.  Regardless, it doesn't fit in with our schedules.  They each do an activity, sometimes depending on the season there may be an overlap with sports.  

I never realized how important sports can be for some children.  Some of the school teams are so competitive that the kids really have to do the sport year round in order to get on a team.  My son who is a swimmer has to work all year.  He also enjoys tennis but because he could never quite reach the level to compete on a school team he has had to limit his playing.  I wish he could spend more time with it since that is an activity he can take into adulthood.

As Life is Better With a Cute Outfit said it is the same thing, over and over and over.  And usually the only thing that breaks the monotony is some sort of crisis.  Yesterday morning as I was getting breakfast, etc. one of my boys stopped up the powder room toilet off of our laundry.   Hubby was gone, it was a mess, lots of towels involved.  We have 6 bathrooms, why do they have to use that one.  As I write this now I am also cleaning out our master bath tub.  My youngest likes to take jacuzzi tubs and it is just gross sometimes when he gets out.  I'm running bleach thru the jets and then clear water -- takes forever for it to fill above the jet line.  I can't even believe I am writing about this stuff.  It is so tedious and makes me sound like a terrible winer.  

My family is great but I guess like most families they thrive on routine and I'm the one responsible for keeping their routine going.  Try to shake things up and they are out of sorts. 

Well I have been rambling long enough now and I believe the tub is on its' final filling.




No comments: