Saturday, January 23, 2010

Letting Go

Mrs. Blanding's wrote a post about her oldest son transitioning into a teenager. Those moments hit you at such unexpeted times. I keep looking at my oldest, who is going off to college this fall (actually it will still be summer) and thinking how quickly those years have passed. During our college visit he was articulate, shook hands, looked people in the eye, asked questions, answered questions. All without my prodding. He did know what we had been telling him all these years. I have his art projects decorating the upstairs hall. This past week when he asked why I am still displaying the paper mache fish he made in 3rd grade. My answer, "because I can't keep the Christmas tree up with all the handmade ornaments".

My husband and daughter went to her schools father/daughter dance last night. I knew she would look far more grown-up than her 14 years (but no more grown-up than her peers). Her Dad is having a very difficult time walking lately because of severe arthritis and he was worried she might be embarrased or frustrated. He told me she handled the evening with grace and they had a wonderful time.

Having said that ... is it wrong for me to consider what color to paint my son's room when he leaves in August? Should I wait until he is a junior or senior?

3 comments:

Toad said...

I believe it's customary to wait, at least a little while. You may pick out colors though.

Unknown said...

So, so funny! I've come to realize that they do, indeed, listen to all the lessons we try to teach them.
I have artwork around the house that the kids have begged for me to take down. Not happening. I tell them it's cheaper than going out and buying "real" art thus giving me more to spend on their "neccesitites" for college. (nails, eating out, etc)
As for redoing the room, I learned my lesson with the first one. She cried when she came home and I had redone some of the decor. I now wait until after Christmas of freshman year. By then they are more settled and don't care as much. FYI ha.

Kim said...

I give everybody one year. My sister threw her stuff on top of mine before I was a mile down the road, so we have the one year rule.

But you are allowed to dream!