Friday, March 26, 2010

Not happening

The past six weeks have been a blur. We finally have a doctors appointment scheduled for this Monday and are looking forward to some answers and hopefully some improvement in his condition.

I worked on my daughter's school auction which although time consuming is a wonderful distraction from everything else in my life. Most people are so generous and gracious but there are always a few 'crazies'. Those parents or grandparents who will argue with you about a $2 bid or whether the bid sheets were pulled a minute early, the ones who walk off with an item they did not win. Unfortunately, those folks are the ones you deal with at the end of a very long day and as I walked out I vowed never again. Having said that ... when asked I agreed to sign on again for next year (a tougher stronger me though).

I've missed my routine. I typically go to the library several times a week. I LOVE the library. Nothing is more relaxing than going to bed early with a big stack of books and magazines. During these past several weeks I've been to library perhaps once or twice and usually only to pick up items my children have requested. Since I am the only parent driving or attending our children's plays, concerts, games, etc. I don't go to be early. Our library now has self service pick-up so I haven't even gotten to interact with the librarians.

Last weekend while driving somone somewhere I was listenting to NPR and heard someone talking about climbing Mt. Everest. I never could figure out who the speaker was put I did pick up Michael Kodas book High Crimes. It is very well written and accessible for someone who has never been a hiker. I get altititude sickness whenever we are in the mountains.

I've never been much of an adventurer and am not very athletic. Something about the story on NPR and this book have made me a bit sad that I am never going to climb Mt. Everest. And I'm not sure why that is. I don't like the cold, I don't do well in high altitiudes, I hate skiing, and I don't have an extra $60,000 to have someone haul me up the mountain.

No comments: