Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snow Days

All three schools were closed for my children yesterday. Initially my daughter's school was going to have a late start but changed to closed. Our first automated call woke me at 5:20 and they continued to 6:30. After the first call I put the television on and watched the list scroll as well as checked the list on the web.

We were rarely off when I went to school. I remember standing in snow waiting for the bus, I'm now wondering my mother didn't drive us to the bus stop and let us wait in the car like parents do now. I really don't recall any parents waiting with the children.

David Sedaris's Snow Day tells the story of his mother locking him and his sisters out of their house after their fifth snow day. I understand and find absolutely no fault with her parenting skills.

My husband and were remembering at dinner last night how we used to have to wait for school to be cancelled by listening to the radio and how if you missed your letter of the alphabet you'd have to sit through that entire list again. My daughter was surprised by this, why didn't we just call one our friends. Well, because they were listenting to the radio also, and because before cell phones we never would have considered calling someone's home at 6:30 am.

2 comments:

Toad said...

do you remember Jack Buck's story of how in his town they turned the street lights on when they cancelled school? that way everyone knew.

nanc said...

No, I don't remember that story but wouldn't that be a great way to nofity everyone.